Re: Debian systemd survey

On Wed, 29 May 2013 13:10:57 -0700, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org>
wrote:
>Using an imperative language for a descriptive purpose is a bad mismatch
>of tools and has been ever since the practical effect of init scripts has
>become fairly standardized.

Some init scripts in Debian build dynamic configuration before the
daemon is started. It has grown to be an important part of conffile
and configuration management for software that cannot by itself read
its configuration in snippets from a foo.conf.d directory.

I am not sure how we would handle that in a "descriptive" approach. It
has once been suggested by people to use wrappers around the daemon
and to call that wrapper from the job description, but that strikes me
as _much_ more ugly than having an init script.

Greetings
Ma "old conservative sneg" rc