Re: [clang] Report bugs on packages failing to build with clang

On Thursday, May 30, 2013 09:34:06 AM Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 06:36:32AM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > In that case, I'd say they aren't bugs at all.  It may be that a FTBFS
> > with
> > clang is a symptom of some underlying issue that should be addressed, but
> > don't think non-wishlist bugs should be filed ONLY on the basis of that
> > FTBFS. All that does is impose a burden on package maintainers to
> > determine if the FTBFS is a real issue or not.  I don't think that's
> > appropriate for a MBF.
> It's not like clang has non-standard ideas regarding the spec, often
> times these errors are more strict readings of the spec, and relying on
> gcc's quirks isn't a great idea.
>
> If code can be fixed, it'd a good idea, since gcc may (and has, in the
> past), changed non-standard behavior to be more correct.
>

> minor severity sounds good to me :)

For the ones that are actual errors, I agree.  I don't think that FTBFS with
clang is sufficient on it's own to determine that an error exists.  Someone
would need to look at the failure and see if it's really a bug before filing
non-wishlist bugs.

Scott K