Re: [clang] Report bugs on packages failing to build with clang

On Thursday, May 30, 2013 10:15:11 AM Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> On 30/05/2013 01:51, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > Sylvestre Ledru <sylvestre@debian.org> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> With the recent setup of the parallel build infrastructure using clang
> >> instead of gcc [1], I would like to start to report
> >> bugs on packages failing to build with clang (with patches if
> >> possible).
> >> The severity would be minor.
> >> Of course, I would do that only when the issue is upstream [2].
> >>
> >> Any comments ?
> >
> > It seems to me that FTBFS with clang should be wishlist.
>
> I also considered this severity but the documentation [1] says
> "for any feature request, and also for any bugs that are very difficult
> to fix due to major design considerations."
> Not sure it matches.
>
> Sylvestre
> [1] http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#severities

In that case, I'd say they aren't bugs at all.  It may be that a FTBFS with
clang is a symptom of some underlying issue that should be addressed, but I
don't think non-wishlist bugs should be filed ONLY on the basis of that FTBFS.
All that does is impose a burden on package maintainers to determine if the
FTBFS is a real issue or not.  I don't think that's appropriate for a MBF.

Scott K