Re: default MTA

On 28/05/13 12:25, Redalert Commander wrote:
> 2013/5/28 Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>:
>> And on desktop systems, nobody reads local email. We might want to think
>> of a better notification system, but email is definitely not fit for
>> that anymore.
>
> I don't think that is true at all. Personally, I use it to get the
> reports from smartd,
> from btrfs scrub cron jobs, other cron jobs, the changelogs for updated packages
> get mailed there, which I really like (happens only with certain packages).

The participants in this thread are debian-devel subscribers: the sort
of people who know that Debian is a Unix system, know what a Unix system
is, and have some idea of what a "btrfs scrub cron job", or indeed an
MTA, means. That's a pretty limiting audience for an operating system.
The Universal Operating System should also be usable by people who don't
meet those criteria, and I think Joss is right to speak up on their behalf.

I'm quite prepared to believe that *our* Unix systems - and in
particular, servers and development machines - need an MTA, but my
parents' laptops really shouldn't need one. Ideally, we can have a
sensible default that is suitable for both experts and non-experts; but
if we can't, then the non-experts should probably have priority. After
all, the sort of people who read debian-devel know how to switch away
from a default MTA that isn't suitable for us, but my parents don't even
know that they *have* an MTA.

(Actually, the only reasons *my* laptop needs a working sendmail these
days are reportbug and bts, and until I got round to configuring
Postfix, my sendmail was a shell script to ssh into my email server and
submit the mail there. In some ways I'd rather just have syslog and
remote SMTP+IMAP.)