Re: default MTA

Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:

>On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 11:07:04AM +0200, Arno Töll wrote:
>> Why not consider something light, better suited for most systems
>which
>> need nothing but a sendmail binary which is suited to relay to a
>> real(tm) mail-server and deliver local mail and does not involve lots
>of
>> configuration and/or listening ports?
>
>+1000.
>
>Unlike some who want to eliminate m-t-a completely, and have
>notifications
>about failing RAID, nightly rsync cronjob being broken, etc, kindly
>delivered to /dev/null by this week's proprietary invention of
>$DESKTOP_ENV,
>I think a m-t-a is still vital on an UNIX system.
>
>Having a way to send outgoing mail without having to configure every
>single
>program to do so is nice, too.
>
>Those who want to run a real mail server will install know how to
>install a
>full-blown m-t-a.  And for example I accept mail on only two machines,
>one
>being a standby for the second.
>
>There's no reason for a mail daemon to listen on the network, or even
>reside in memory, on the rest.  All you need is /usr/sbin/sendmail
>which can
>deliver remote mail remotely, and local mail locally.
>
>> On 28.05.2013 03:02, Marco d'Itri wrote:
>> > Now that we are done with systemd for the time being, can we have
>the
>> > flame war about replacing Exim with Postfix as the default MTA?
>
>I for one find Postfix's config outright bizarre.  And compared to
>exim,
>that's quite an achievement.  (Let's not even mention the name of The
>Champ.)  So it'd not fit as a default.
>
>So let's replace exim with something simple, efficient and lightweight.

It might help if we used a bit more precision in terimonolgy.  "Not a full blown MTA" as described here is a Mail Submission Agent (MSA).  See RFC 5598 for details:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5598#section-4.3.1

I think MSA instead of MTA by default is a reasonable discussion point (personally I use postfix as an MSA and it's trivial to set up via debconf, but I understand not everyone will want to do that ).  Let's decide MTA or MSA first and then decide what color we want to paint the MSA bikeshed later if that's the way the decision goes.

Scott K