Re: default MTA

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 11:07:04AM +0200, Arno Töll wrote:
> Why not consider something light, better suited for most systems which
> need nothing but a sendmail binary which is suited to relay to a
> real(tm) mail-server and deliver local mail and does not involve lots of
> configuration and/or listening ports?

+1000.

Unlike some who want to eliminate m-t-a completely, and have notifications
about failing RAID, nightly rsync cronjob being broken, etc, kindly
delivered to /dev/null by this week's proprietary invention of $DESKTOP_ENV,
I think a m-t-a is still vital on an UNIX system.

Having a way to send outgoing mail without having to configure every single
program to do so is nice, too.

Those who want to run a real mail server will install know how to install a
full-blown m-t-a.  And for example I accept mail on only two machines, one
being a standby for the second.

There's no reason for a mail daemon to listen on the network, or even to
reside in memory, on the rest.  All you need is /usr/sbin/sendmail which can
deliver remote mail remotely, and local mail locally.

> On 28.05.2013 03:02, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > Now that we are done with systemd for the time being, can we have the
> > flame war about replacing Exim with Postfix as the default MTA?

I for one find Postfix's config outright bizarre.  And compared to exim,
that's quite an achievement.  (Let's not even mention the name of The
Champ.)  So it'd not fit as a default.

So let's replace exim with something simple, efficient and lightweight.

--
ᛊᚨᚾᛁᛏᚣ᛫ᛁᛊ᛫ᚠᛟᚱ᛫ᚦᛖ᛫ᚹᛖᚨᚲ