Re: systemd .service file conversion

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 8:30 PM, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org> writes:

> I would be quite happy to write service files for two (systemd, upstart)
> or three (systemd, upstart, openrc) of those in all my packages[*], if
> it stops the endless flamewar here. I would also be happy to have the
> requirement to support two (or three) of them in the Debian policy.

+1

However, there is a legitimate concern that I'm not likely to personally
test more than one, maybe two, of the service files, since I'm probably
going to find that I have a personal favorite and end up using that on
most or all of my systems.

That's true, but see my second email in reply to Lucas. Each init system has it's proponents and it would be their job to help with testing. And I would happily accept any patch which would help me with testing (I still have to check the autopkg testing.)

So whatever we pick I guess we:

1. get enough feedback from Ubuntu people to ensure quality upstart jobs

2. kFreeBSD folks would provide OpenRC support (same as Hurd people providing the MAX_PATHLEN patches)

3. people passionate about systemd (Gnome folks, etc...) would provide support for service files

We can revise the plan after during the jessie development, if it doesn't work we will just drop support for the non-functional init system (or just make it non-RC)

O.
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org>