Re: optimizing PNGs

Helmut Grohne <helmut@subdivi.de> writes:

> I'd like to add some bits from the doxygen point of view. Documentation
> packages created using doxygen currently have a number of issues with
> respect to size. Some of them are to be addressed soon(TM).

>  * Packages shipping .md5 and .map files. Even though these files are
>    small, there can be very many of them adding up to the installation
>    size for filesystems with large block sizes. These files are used for
>    incremental recreation of the documentation, so they are completely
>    useless in a binary package. A future version of the doxygen package
>    will include a dh_doxygen to aid in getting rid of these files.

Yes, yes, please!  That would make my life so much better for several of
my packages.

>  * The embedding of jquery and files from doxygen is another story with
>    wider implications, but this is rather a small constant per package,
>    so the reduction in size is negligible.

I've been replacing the copy of jquery with a symlink to the one shipped
in Debian and adding a dependency on that package, and some quick testing
didn't turn up anything that broke.  If that strategy works, maybe
dh_doxygen can do that as well?