Re: optimizing PNGs

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM, Helmut Grohne wrote:

> While digging into this, I also discovered that there are a number of
> duplicate files, that could be reduced using hard links[1] without much
> effort. For example, in case of activiz.net-doc[2] 2% of the files can
> be replaced by hard links. For vtk-doc[3] this amounts to 13% of the
> files. Other large documentation packages are likely affected in a
> similar way. The files typically affected are .svg and .map files. Even
> though this certainly hits small files, this can reduce the installation
> size measurably (for some filesystems).

In megaglest we replace duplicate files with symlinks using these commands:

        # Replace duplicate files with symlinks
        rdfind -outputname /dev/null -makesymlinks true debian/megaglest-data/
        # Fix those symlinks to make them relative
        symlinks -r -s -c debian/megaglest-data/

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise