Re: optimizing PNGs

Was there any reason for the additional CCs? I saw no Mail-Followup-To
or request for CC, so I dropped them.

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 09:22:20AM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> Doxygen will use SVG for graph (collaboration, inheritance), SVG is
> AFAIK one of the best possible representation for such information.
> The remainings PNGs are formulas (latex). It would be nice if doxygen
> would use mathml...

I'd like to add some bits from the doxygen point of view. Documentation
packages created using doxygen currently have a number of issues with
respect to size. Some of them are to be addressed soon(TM).

 * Packages shipping .md5 and .map files. Even though these files are
   small, there can be very many of them adding up to the installation
   size for filesystems with large block sizes. These files are used for
   incremental recreation of the documentation, so they are completely
   useless in a binary package. A future version of the doxygen package
   will include a dh_doxygen to aid in getting rid of these files.

 * The use of PNGs for graphs and formulas is unfortunate as has been
   pointed out already. The use of SVG for graphs improves this
   situation. As for formulas, there is support for mathjax. It needs to
   be enabled explicitly with USE_MATHJAX. I do not see mathml as the
   option of choice yet, because it is way harder to implement (unless
   you write the mathml directly in \htmlonly tags).

 * The embedding of jquery and files from doxygen is another story with
   wider implications, but this is rather a small constant per package,
   so the reduction in size is negligible.

Helmut