Re: Debian systemd survey

2013/5/24 brian m. carlson <sandals@crustytoothpaste.net>:
> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 11:18:04PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>> Le jeudi 23 mai 2013 à 22:06 +0200, Marc Haber a écrit :
>> > Yes, systemd trying to replace so much of traditional UNIX tools at
>> > once and so blatantly breaking the "One job one tool" principle that
>> > has made our platform so successful is one major part of the
>> > acceptance issues that systemd has in Debian.
>>
>> I’d bother answering to that, but Lennart already did. Myth #1:
>> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html
>>
>> Systemd is just as much monolithic as, say, coreutils.
>
> I can use only parts of coreutils if I desire.  Also, coreutils does not
> start services on startup that I do not need.  systemd, on the other
> hand, has spawned systemd-journald, which I do not want or need, which
> is autorestarted, and which cannot be stopped with service.  Since I am
> not using its functionality, there is no point in having the service
> running.  rsyslog is very capable.
>
> Also, traditionally init has been limited to starting and stopping
> groups of services.  It has not been involved in logging, session
> management, seat management, hotkey handling, or suspend and resume,
> except perhaps to start and stop the services which perform those
> functions.  However well-intentioned, systemd does a lot more than init
> traditionally has, and definitely encroaches into areas that were not
> traditionally init-related.

> The Unix Way is to use separate processes
> for separate tasks.
...and this is what systemd does! It's not like we have an
event-logger, hotkey-handling and seat-management all in pid0. It is
all nicely split into separate processes. The journal is mainly used
to produce structured logs and to log the early boot process (which I
find *very* nice, it helped me a lot already!), but you can turn it's
functionality off[1].
There will be a reason why it cannot be removed completely too.
I think it is valid to see "systemd" as a compilation of basic tools
for a Linux system, which also includes an init-system.
Cheers,
    Matthias

[1] http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/journald.conf.html