Re: Debian systemd survey

2013/5/23 Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de>:
> On Wed, 22 May 2013 19:40:57 +0200, Matthias Klumpp
> <matthias@tenstral.net> wrote:
>>Please also keep in mind that many upstream projects ship systemd service
>>files. Therefore, most of the systemd work is already done too.
>
> Are those any better than init scripts shipped by upstream? How many
> Debian packages use upstream init scripts verbatim?
One of the great goals of systemd is to unify init-"scripts" on all
Linux systems. The systemd unit files are entirely declarative and
work the same way on all Linux distributions (I recently spoke with
Mageia, Fedora and OpenSUSE people about how well this works - very
well so far :) )
And that is the reason why they can be shipped upstream. If some
tweaking is needed, the changes can even be upstreamed again, so
everyone benefits from the changes.
Cheers,
    Matthias

P.S: @all: Please keep in mind that systemd is not just an init
system, but contains many other buiĺding blocks to create an operating
system, e.g. journald to create better syslogs (it forwards messages
to traditional syslog, so no worries about binary stuff), logind as
replacement for ConsoleKit and to finally get multiseat support
working again, hostnamectl, udev and many other tools & daemons which
make it much nicer to administer a system and to abstract differences
between distributions (which makes writing applications (for Linux) so
much better...).