Re: Debian systemd survey

On 05/23/2013 03:55 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 05/23/2013 06:56 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>>> * As you may know, systemd is developed by a large amount of
>>>    contributors.
>>
>> If you are tired of seeing the same arguments,
>
> Personal insults is something you call arguments? You have a weird
> method of discussion ...

Sorry, that is probably badly translated from French. I meant as
argumentation, or "discussion point". I'm not sure if you got it now.
There was nothing about insults or anything like this.

> How on earth does that contradict with the fact that 40%, i.e.
> the minority of all contributions are done by the original
> author. 40% still means that 60% of the code comes from other
> people and those are 145 contributors according to ohloh [1].

It's not this way. Last time I checked, there was another upstream doing
about 30% of the work. The rest of is probably small patches contributed
here and there. Run

The facts are that there's no "big community" working on Systemd.
There's 2 main authors, and a crowd sending smaller (tiny?) contributions.

> OpenRC has 19 [2], upstart has even only 7 [3] contributors.
>
> So, yeah, systemd is definitely the project which has the
> largest amount of contributors which was exactly my point.

I'm still not convinced. Don't trust the lies from Lennart, the git
clone tells the truth:

4528 Lennart Poettering <lennart@poettering.net>
3291 Kay Sievers <kay@vrfy.org>
676 Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>
541 Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek@in.waw.pl>
274 Michal Schmidt <mschmidt@redhat.com>
190 Martin Pitt <martinpitt@gnome.org>
171 Harald Hoyer <harald@redhat.com>

There is no other contributor that has done more than 100 patches. If
you count people who contributed even a single patch, there's in total
421 "contributors" (but that is not the point, is it?).

(just did a "git pull" before running the stats...)

BTW, why did you make me repeat myself? Couldn't you search in the list
archive? And in what way is this a technical argumentation to choose a
init system? What are you trying to prove here?

Thomas