Re: Debian systemd survey

On 05/22/2013 06:41 PM, Steve Langasek wrote:
On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 02:45:54PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
Le mercredi 22 mai 2013 à 08:16 +0200, Lucas Nussbaum a écrit :
- there are 300+ upstart job files ready to be imported from Ubuntu

When you compare the time it takes to write an upstart job file or a
systemd unit file, to the time it takes to proprely test it, I don’t
think this argument makes any sense.

Please leave the FUD at the door.  Writing upstart jobs is not difficult;
while there are some gotchas currently with process lifecycle (which will be
fixed soon), there is also very complete documentation (for these issues,
and generally).

systemd's unit files are still way simpler than upstart job files since
these are just more or less a simple set of instructions to give
systemd some hints on how to deal with the targets and services, it
actually does most of the work automatically without the need of scripts
at all (which are obviously still required for upstart).

If the only things we do for improving the distribution are to take stuff
from Ubuntu because, well, it’s here, we might as well stop developing
anything at all.

Sure; obviously the right thing to do is to instead take stuff from GNOME
and freedesktop.org without regard to integration with our existing system,
because if Lennart says it's right it must be so.

Honestly, these personal accusations against Lennart are getting old and
boring. Don't you really have any other good argument to bring up
against systemd other than you dislike *one* of the systemd developers?*

And while I don't support all of the decisions GNOME upstream makes, I
fully support f.d.o as an actual free and independent organization
which hosts the development of systemd.

*When* there is one company that is trying to fragment the Linux world
then it's Canonical with its urge to come up with one NIH project
after another, be it Bazaar (which seems to have been abandoned by
upstream with >2000 open bugs [1]) or the Mir display server
which isn't supported by neither the X.org/DRM developers or
any developers of desktops like KDE, Enlightment or GNOME.

Adrian

* As you may know, systemd is developed by a large amount of
  contributors.

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz