Re: Specifying a C++11 compatible pre-dependency

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 06:15:37PM +0300, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> package requires
> a fairly complete C++11 support in order to compile. I have tried to
> signify this by adding "Build-Depends: gcc (>= 4:4.7)" to the dependencies.
>
> On PowerPC, despite gcc version 4.7 (and, indeed, 4.8) being available,
> the "gcc" package is for version 4.6.4. This means that without some
> platform specific tricks in the package (as I don't have a PowerPC
> platform, these tricks are hard to know), the package fails
> dependencies. Even if that were not the case, the package would fail to
> build, as gcc points to gcc-4.6.4.

Just specify the compiler you want:

Build-Depends: gcc-4.7

CC=gcc-4.7 ./configure

Bothering with alternatives is a waste of time as gcc-defaults will be
updated to either 4.8 or a mixture of 4.7/4.8 soon; I kind of remember
doko saying something about the beginning of June.

> I no longer have a PowerPC platform to test with, and qemu-user isn't
> emulating deep enough for fakeroot-ng to work under (and is extremely
> buggy for PowerPC emulation anyways). As such, the best I can tell at
> the moment is that under ppc, when specifying gcc-4.8 compiler, the code
> compiles.

You want qemu-system for that.  Too bad, current qemu is incapable of
running wheezy d-i, and upgrading from squeeze took me a crapload of effort.
I heard that qemu's trunk (scheduled to release in a week) has this fixed,
and our qemu team will wrangle it into shape soon, but if you want my
upgraded image, say a word.

--
ᛊᚨᚾᛁᛏᚣ᛫ᛁᛊ᛫ᚠᛟᚱ᛫ᚦᛖ᛫ᚹᛖᚨᚲ