Specifying a C++11 compatible pre-dependency

Hi all,

I have a package[1] that will not transition to testing due to failed compilation on powerpc. The problem is that the actual package requires a fairly complete C++11 support in order to compile. I have tried to signify this by adding "Build-Depends: gcc (>= 4:4.7)" to the dependencies.

On PowerPC, despite gcc version 4.7 (and, indeed, 4.8) being available, the "gcc" package is for version 4.6.4. This means that without some platform specific tricks in the package (as I don't have a PowerPC platform, these tricks are hard to know), the package fails dependencies. Even if that were not the case, the package would fail to build, as gcc points to gcc-4.6.4.

Is there some better way to cause the system to use a C++11 capable compiler?

Shachar

P.S.
I no longer have a PowerPC platform to test with, and qemu-user isn't emulating deep enough for fakeroot-ng to work under (and is extremely buggy for PowerPC emulation anyways). As such, the best I can tell at the moment is that under ppc, when specifying gcc-4.8 compiler, the code compiles.

1 - http://packages.qa.debian.org/f/fakeroot-ng.html