Re: /bin/sh (was Re: jessie release goals)

On 2013-05-07 14:23:47 +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Shells suitable for /bin/sh are currently bash, dash, mksh.
[...]
> I have no idea whether yash or zsh can be made suitable, but I think
> both could, if the maintainers and possibly upstream are interested.

Though zsh has an option to emulate sh, it may still not be completely
compatible. Upstream fixes incompatibilities when it is easy. But some
incompatibilities may remain. If sh needs special multibyte (UTF-8)
support for some features in UTF-8 locales, there may be a problem
with zsh, as in sh emulation mode, multibyte support is completely
disabled, and enabling it yields incompatibilities (that's why
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=659932 is still
there).