Re: Temporary solution for changelog problem in binNMUs

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 11:09:53PM +0200, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [ dropped -release and -wb-team ]
>
> Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com> writes:
> > One problem that that doesn't solve is what to do when a package would
> > be able to borrow its /doc/<package> directory from another package
> > (using a symlink) but for the changelog and copyright (which gets even
> > harder when binnmus are involved).  See http://bugs.debian.org/556015
>
> Right, that would need looking into. A random idea: if doc/<package> is
> a symlink to doc/<other-package>, then copy the binNMU part of the
> changelog to doc/<other-package>/changelog.Debian.<arch>.gz, but do not
> generate doc/<other-package>/changelog.Debian.gz.
>
> Ansgar

Huh?

If the changelog is symlinked and the package is binNMUed don't you
end up with something like in the deb?

foo-common:
/usr/share/doc/<package>/changelog.Debian.gz

libfoo (binNMU):
/usr/share/doc/<package> -> <other-package>
/usr/share/doc/<other-package>/changelog.Debian.binNMU-<arch>.gz (binNMU stanza)

The split off binNMU part needs to be arch qualified for multiarch or
you have the same problem as before in case binNMUs for multiple archs
are done independently (e.g. not the same reason).

I wouldn't want the original changelog to be modified at all at
install time and the other file causes no problem if it is arch
qualified.

MfG
	Goswin