Re: Temporary solution for changelog problem in binNMUs

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 06:04:58PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Montag, 13. Mai 2013, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > The only thing the metadata solution would need now, is changing
> > packaging helper, all packages not using a helper, and changelog and
> > copyright extractors to look first in the new place, and fallback to
> > the old one for backwards compatibility.
>
> that will only take four years or so.
>

> cheers,
> 	Holger

If it is going to take 4 years then it is going to take 4 years.

So what? Only the packages being binNMUed need to be fixed already. So
when you want to binNMU something that isn't yet changed you change
it, if it isn't using dh_changelog, and do a sourcefull upload.

I find it more important to get a solution and to start adapting it.
Because if it takes 4 years just to decide we will make changelogs
metadata like propoased then it will take 8 years combined and not 4.

MfG
	Goswin

PS: If it gets decided that binNMUs changelogs will be generated as
split-of files then that is OK too. But make an informed decision.
Don't pick something as temporary solution just because it would be
quick to hack together and leave the problem open.