Re: Temporary solution for changelog problem in binNMUs

On Mon, 2013-05-13 at 14:12:14 +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Isn't the reason this was on hold the wheezy release and now that is
> out work on this can continue?

The main reason to not deploy any actual solution at the time was that
it would imply possible unexpected breakage on extractors and programs
expecting changelog files in certain locations, during the freeze,
nothing more.

> Guillem sayd he already has a working solution for changelog /
> copyright as metadata at home. And despide the discussion about what
> it is all usefull for there doesn't seem to be any real (unsolvable)
> objections to that solution. So I would rather see that solution in
> experimental NOW and get people to try it than divert resources to
> temporary fixes.

dpkg has all generic support it currently needs for multiple possible
solutions, there's the dpkg-query --control-show and --control-list
commands, and the generic tagging of binNMUs in changelog files through
the binary-only key-value, which I introduced during wheezy precisely
for this, so that they'd be avalable in jessie.

The only thing I left out, was the explicit --show-copyright and
--show-changelog which I had locally, to avoid having to make these
hardcode distribution specific paths as fallbacks, because a new
command per metadata file might not scale, and to avoid making it seem
like the metadata solution was a done deal, although I've neither seen
any actual significant objection to it up to now.

The only thing the metadata solution would need now, is changing
packaging helper, all packages not using a helper, and changelog and
copyright extractors to look first in the new place, and fallback to
the old one for backwards compatibility.

Thanks,
Guillem