Re: Temporary solution for changelog problem in binNMUs

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 11:14:07AM +0200, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> with wheezy released and development on jessie started the problem with
> binNMUs for multiarch-enabled packages is back: binNMU'ed packages have
> different changelog entries and upgrades fail (for example [1]).
>
>   [1] <http://bugs.debian.org/708097>
>
> It's quite annoying as the problem is only detected when dpkg tries to
> extract the package.
>
> There have been previous discussions how to fix this[2]. The dpkg
> maintainers would like to treat changelogs and copyright files as
> metadata and move them out of /usr/share/doc[3].
>
>   [2] <https://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2012/07/msg00017.html>
>   [3] <http://bugs.debian.org/681289>
>
> I believe it will still take a while to reach a consensus and implement
> it. So I would like to propose a temporary solution until this is sorted
> out:
>
>    Let dh_installchangelogs split out the binNMU changelog entry into a
>    changelog(.Debian).$arch.gz file for now.
>
> Yes, this might not be the final solution, but at least binNMUs
> shouldn't break any longer, at least as long as they have the same
> version across all architectures.
>
> For this sbuild should add "binary-only=yes" to the changelog[4] and
> dh_installchangelogs split such entries into a separate file (will file
> a bug soon).
>
>   [4] <http://bugs.debian.org/681292>
>
> Ansgar

Please don't. That just eats up developer time to implement, more time
to un-implement when the real solution comes and probably delays the
real solution because nobody wants to break the temporary fix.
Sometimes a bit of pain is a good motivator.

Isn't the reason this was on hold the wheezy release and now that is
out work on this can continue?

Guillem sayd he already has a working solution for changelog /
copyright as metadata at home. And despide the discussion about what
it is all usefull for there doesn't seem to be any real (unsolvable)
objections to that solution. So I would rather see that solution in
experimental NOW and get people to try it than divert resources to
temporary fixes.

MfG
	Goswin