Re: Debian development and release: always releasable (essay)

Hi,

Quoting Paul Wise (2013-05-11 10:40:18)
> Lucas created a script that displays a list of "important" packages, puppet
> isn't on that either:
>
> http://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/important_packages.cgi

Not surprising as the algorithm (from what can be read in the comments)
executes what we call build_closure algorithm in this paper [1].  During
bootstrapping we execute the same algorithm with the only difference that we do
not pull in source packages that only contribute arch:all packages (for obvious
reasons).

While we also recognized this selection of packages as important from a
bootstrapping point of view (as it contains the largest strongly connected
component in the dependency graph) it is not surprising that puppet is not in
it. Instead, puppet is just a leaf package in the dependency graph.

So while the set of source packages found by the build_closure algorithm should
certainly be part of the "important" packages, this also shows an observation
that we made during dependency graph analysis: The syntax of the dependency
graph is not enough to make semantic conclusions of the contained packages.

So instead, the important packages should be the union of:

 - the result of the build_closure algorithm
 - the transitive dependencies of all tasks and all blends
 - ???

Maybe the puppet question can just be solved by introducing an openstack task?
Adding new tasks could help codify the set of features that are deemed
"important".

cheers, josch

[1] http://mancoosi.org/~abate/bootstrapping-software-distributions