Re: Merging / and /usr (was: jessie release goals)

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 03:04:34PM +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:
> On Thu, May 09, 2013 at 02:08:05PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> > You have a point here. The problem is that people need to change their
> > operations, which is hard for many people, let alone the case when
> > emergency manuals need to be changed just for the sake of satisfying
> > Lennart.
>
> There are various benefits, discussed before at length (here,
> elsewhere). Suggesting/summarizing this as "satisfying Lennart" is a bit
> telling.

It's still entirely accurate though.  This is ultimately being driven by
uncooperative upstreams unwilling to maintain their stuff properly, and
this really means udev, and this is part of systemd for better or worse.
Well, worse.

Ensuring /usr is mounted at boot time is one thing.  It provides
certain very useful guarantees which we currently don't have.  Merging
/ and /usr is another matter entirely, and it's just one of several
increasingly bizarre and technically questionable decisions coming
from the Fedora camp of late.  What Fedora does is not necessarily
appropriate for Debian.  They have rather different pressures
influencing their decisions, and they are not all in our interest.

How are those udev replacement projects coming along?  Something else
to think about for jessie.

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh
 : :' :  Debian GNU/Linux    http://people.debian.org/~rleigh/