Re: Merging / and /usr (was: jessie release goals)

On Thu, 9 May 2013 12:33:47 +0100, Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net>
wrote:
>Regarding rescue, the initramfs has a rescue shell which I've found
>to be just as useful as single user mode.

Isn't that the one that doesn't even have a shell history or tab
completion?

>Once it has mounted the
>rootfs, you can chroot into that and do whatever you would normally
>do to rescue /usr. [Assuming a separate /usr.]  If it doesn't get as
>far as mounting the rootfs, then you'll need some rescue disc in any
>case.

You have a point here. The problem is that people need to change their
operations, which is hard for many people, let alone the case when
emergency manuals need to be changed just for the sake of satisfying
Lennart.

>I find the busybox shell to be just as effective as a rescue
>disc in most cases.

I don't.

Greetings
Marc