Re: Doubts about PPA in Debian

On 2013-05-09 22:55:33 +0800 (+0800), Thomas Goirand wrote:
[...]
> And I seriously wished it wasn't the case, and that upstream
> understood better what the distribution requirements are.
[...]

Actually, in this case (OpenStack) from what I've seen the upstream
community understands the distribution requirements quite well and
is, on the whole, sympathetic. It's not actively ignoring
distributor/packager concerns--the problem is there aren't enough
developers with an interest in maintaining code old enough for
distributions to carry long-term, since the current development
effort is mainly provided by donors who are interested in pulling
current code directly from the project rather than using
distribution packages (mainly because development is still moving
very, very fast compared to distributions' release schedules).

If enough interested developers suddenly walked up and asked to help
make long-term support happen (along with the additional CI
resources required, and then actually did the work), I don't think
it would be an issue. As the project ages and development stabilizes
further I hope this will begin to emerge naturally within the
developer community, and expect it will become easier to maintain
releases over longer periods of time. Right now there's just too
much code being ripped out, replaced, split into separate projects,
mashed together from separate projects and so on for that to be a
reasonable support expectation.
--
{ PGP( 48F9961143495829 ); FINGER( fungi@cthulhu.yuggoth.org );
WWW( http://fungi.yuggoth.org/ ); IRC( fungi@irc.yuggoth.org#ccl );