Re: wheezy postmortem re rc bugfixing

Le Wed, May 08, 2013 at 06:48:01PM -0400, anarcat a écrit :

> In fact, I am of the opinion that we should relax the requirements that
> the release team systematically review every diff posted during the
> freeze, especially if the freeze is going to last almost a year... That
> always seemed to me to be an insane amount of work.

I agree.  For a large number of packages if not all, we should allow the
package maintainers to manually migrate their packages to Testing during the
Freeze, within boundaries set on debian-devel-announce by the release team.  It
looks like DAK is growing a set of nice commands, and that developers will be
familiar with them by using PPAs, so let's use them for that purpose as well !
Like any other service (BTS, uploads to Unstable, ...), repeated abuse can be
solved by blocking the access, and in the worst case scenario, an expulsion
procedure.

The goal is nevertheless to save time to everybody, and to make the released
stable version more exciting by including more upstream fixes and improvements.
Looking at http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical, it takes only a few monthes
to find hundreds of new RC bugs in stable releases.  I think that we should
focus on regressions rather than RC bugs.  New upstream releases in simple
packages tend to solve problems in the core parts of the packages, and may
introduce new parts that are not fully tested.  It is to our benefit and the
benefit of our users to incorporate in Stable new upstream releases that fix
bugs in existing tools, even if they introduce new tools that are not as well
tested, because on the other hand these new tools do not have a user base as
large as the older ones.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy