Re: epoch fix?

* Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org>, 2013-05-08, 23:39:
Why would adding an epoch cause the need for adding the epoch in the build-dependent packages ?
Because otherwise these build-dependent packages will not bring the version they actually need?

You know, what build-dependencies are for.

I know what build-dependencies are for, thank you. :-) The question is why epoch would need more updating of Build-Depends than with the "really" approach. I'm missing Michael Biebl's point.

*sigh* Is that really that hard to understand?

Sorry, but this is not helpful.

Let me try to explain where the difference lies. Consider the following sequences of uploads:

foo_4
foo_5
foo_1:4
foo_1:6

bar_4
bar_5
bar_5really4
bar_6

Two kind of "bugs" in (build-)dependencies on these packages could happen:

1)

"foo (>= 5)" doesn't guarantee you that you get upstream version 5 or later. You need to use "foo (>= 1:5)".

Similarly, "bar (>= 5)" doesn't guarantee you that you get correct upstream version. You need to use "bar (>= 6)" or something.

No big difference here.

2)

"foo (>= 6)" doesn't guarantee you that you get upstream version 6 or later. You need to use "foo (>= 1:6)".

Such mistake couldn't possibly happen with the epoch approach.
"bar (>= 6)" does the right thing.

--
Jakub Wilk