Re: /export (was Re: jessie release goals)

Hi,

On 08.05.2013 10:11, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mercredi 08 mai 2013 à 11:59 +0400, Игорь Пашев a écrit :
>> I proposed exactly an opposite thing for databases :-)
>>
>> If do not like /usr/home, you might not like to have your data under
>> /var/lib ;-)
>
> The FHS has the perfect place for such data: /srv. I agree we should
> move the data there, but there is no reason to invent a new place.

Sadly not. While I agree that /var/lib is the wrong location and /srv is
more correct, we cannot use /srv as a distribution, while every site
user is allowed to use /srv for that.

That's the purpose of /srv, after all.

However, we, as distribution are not allowed by means of FHS to assume
any directory layout, or sub-directory structure below /srv ("Therefore,
no program should rely on a specific subdirectory structure of /srv
existing or data necessarily being stored in /srv. However /srv should
always exist on FHS compliant systems and should be used as the default
location for such data") [1].

If you find some better directory than /var/lib (or, similarly, for
/var/www) let me know. See also [2]. I'm still seeking one.

[1]
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#SRVDATAFORSERVICESPROVIDEDBYSYSTEM
[2] <4F8A1567.80906@debian.org> //
with kind regards,