Re: /export (was Re: jessie release goals)

On 05/08/2013 01:54 AM, Игорь Пашев wrote:
> Currently /var/lib contains data for system utilities (dpkg, apt,
> aptitute) and for user application like databases.
>
> What about moving default location for applications to /export ?
>
> Think about "modern fs" like btrfs and zfs:
>
> One may want to create a snapshot of the entire system, user data
> should not get into such a snapshot,
> but, of course, /usr along with dpkg database - should.
>
> Again, the idea is to move all user data away from /var/lib
How about moving /etc into /home? How about moving /home
into /usr? How about deleting all the HDD content, and switching
to vfat by default? Or getting rid of unix rights (too complicated?)?

Seriously, please stop... My filesystem is ok the way it is, I don't
want it to change so much that absolutely every package will
be impacted. For the above, it's fixed by having a separate
partition for /var/lib (which I often do).

Thomas