Re: Will we see MariaDB in Jessie?

On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 01:54:41PM -0400, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> Meh. +1 to kill MySQL for MariaDB. It's got a much better future. I see
> it more like a libc changeover. Who cares, it's got the same interface.
> We only have things to gain (better upstream, upstream commited to real
> f/oss, new features, etc.)

AIUI, recent MySQL releases (and the latest beta release) have seen tons
of new[1] and quite advanced features which I am not sure are being
merged into MariaDB.  So the codebases have been quickly diverging, very
much unlike glibc vs. eglibc, the latter of which being basically a
friendly patch-set on top of it.

Sure, the security advisories are awful and Oracle is generally bad, but
from a technical point of view, I am not sure dropping MySQL right now
is that best approach, provided some fellow DDs would like to continue
maintaining it.  Having both MySQL and MariaDB in the archive at least
until freeze would make it easier later on to evaluate what we really
want to ship with jessie.

Michael

[1] My favourite being: "Previously, Control+C in mysql interrupted the
current statement if there was one, or exited mysql if not. Now
Control+C interrupts the current statement if there was one, or cancels
any partial input line otherwise, but does not exit."