Re: Upstream packaging (was Re: Derivatives, MongoDB and freezes)

Quoting Andreas Tille (2013-04-25 09:20:59)
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 09:43:48PM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > A distribution (any, most) is the gel that binds and gives an unified
> > and coherent shape to the software ecosystem.
>
> +1 (to everything even the cutted part)
>
> > An app store is just like a scrapyard, you might find magnificent
> > and isolated gems there, but most of it will probably be junk, or
> > not combine with the other scrap parts.
>
> I honestly wonder if there is some more general definition for the
> term "app store" besides what according to[1] certain companies have
> made out of it.  Following the logic that "app store" is crap because
> some companies provide it as such we are terribly lucky that they did
> not choose the term "distribution" for their crap.  I personally can
> not find something wrong in a *generic* term "application store" and I
> would not seriously object if someone would call Debian an app store
> done the right way.

If by "not seriously object" you mean that you would object but with a
smile and continue your great meal together, rather than leave the
party and file a lawsuit, then I agree with you...

To me, calling Debian an "app store" would be only misleading. To me an
"app store" is for "topping op" a system, not the system itself.

Debian is no app store: content is not only apps nor app-centric, and
aim is not to archive nor to sell, but to streamline and distribute.

When I need an alternative term to describe what "distribution" means, I
use "library": Like librarians we care not only about the individual
"books" of software, and not only about the "novels", but about
long-term cohesive structure of the library as a whole.

Libraries also has the connotation of "collecting dust" which arguably
is descriptive for (stable) Debian as well ;-)

 - Jonas