Re: Upstream packaging (was Re: Derivatives, MongoDB and freezes)

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 09:43:48PM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> A distribution (any, most) is the gel that binds and gives an unified
> and coherent shape to the software ecosystem.

+1 (to everything even the cutted part)

> An app store is just like
> a scrapyard, you might find magnificent and isolated gems there, but most
> of it will probably be junk, or not combine with the other scrap parts.

I honestly wonder if there is some more general definition for the term
"app store" besides what according to[1] certain companies have made out
of it.  Following the logic that "app store" is crap because some
companies provide it as such we are terribly lucky that they did not
choose the term "distribution" for their crap.  I personally can not
find something wrong in a *generic* term "application store" and I would
not seriously object if someone would call Debian an app store done the
right way.

> > Where Debian's efforts should be focused is on things like license
> > verification and helping bug reports and fixes get to upstream.
>
> So basically, getting rid of most of the fun stuff and turning it into
> a lawyerish play-ground and support center... I'd venture to say, not
> the most attractive work for most people here if it was the only
> thing to be done, which we do because we think it's important non the
> less.

+1

Kind regards

       Andreas.