Re: Automatically satisfying Build-Depends from local control file

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 12:07 PM, Marc Haber
<mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 14:05:47 +0900, Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org>
> wrote:
>>The tool you are looking for is "mk-build-deps" from the package "devscripts".
>
> So one uses mk-build-deps to create a .deb containing the build
> dependencies as binary dependencites, put that .deb into an local
> aptable archive, run apt-get update and apt-get install $PACKAGE.
>
> Am I the only one who thinks this is terribly backwards as compared to
> hand-editing dpkg-checkbuildep's output to an apt-get install command
> line?

Michael actually blogged very recently about
$ gdebi debian/control

see: https://mvogt.wordpress.com/2013/03/22/using-gdebi-to-install-build-dependencies/
(but other highlevel-frontends might have similar "hacks" implemented)

Of course we would like to have that directly in libapt but it is a hell of
a lot of work to do it cleanly so that the frontends can actually use it.

squeeze deeply wounded the "mmap ran out of room" error and wheezy should
include fixes for remaining segfaults caused by growing caches, so the next
waypoint on the road to never-ending glory is an interface to add structures
to the cache after it is built which is a bit harder than it sounds as
currently everything which deals with parsing is hidden (for reasons as the
 codebase supports different indexes for parsing; beside deb, there is an old
 out-of-tree rpm and new inventions like the immediate format EDSP).

On the pro-side, if that's finally done we can do a lot of funky stuff.
I wouldn't dare to hold my breath until then though, way too much stuff
creeps up on the bug side to even try to implement new bugs^Wfeatures.
(And no, pushing this as GSoC/OPW project isn't really an option)

Best regards

David Kalnischkies