Re: Interactive package management via aptitude

+++ Chow Loong Jin [2013-04-09 09:32 +0800]:
> On 09/04/2013 06:43, Adam Borowski wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 04:19:19AM +0800, Chow Loong Jin wrote:
> >> Actually, in the event of aptitude not being able to resolve the dependencies
> >> satisfactorily the first round (from aptitude install foo), aptitude allows you
> >> to interactively pick other solutions, or tell it what to do:
> >
> > Have you been able to get that effect from aptitude?  It seems that
> > whenever it sees some trouble (sometimes even when plain apt-get would
> > succeed), it proposes to remove the world, install a few unrelated
> > packages, and not do whatever you requested it to.  After declining a
> > varying number of such "solutions", it gives up even if it would take a
> > single action to resolve the problem.
>
> Yeah, I have actually. It's just that the recent multiarch issues (which still
> haven't been fixed) tend to lead to aptitude attempting to remove the whole
> (foreign-arch) world.

I too am a huge aptitude fan. The curses UI is brilliant for working
out what's up when things are a bit broken. However it doesn't deal
with multiarch well so I've been stuck with apt-get trying to work out
fro the tealeaves what's wrong. Is anyone actually working on making
the aptitude multiarch-friendly, or planning to? Or has at least
tthought about how hard a problem it is?

Wookey
http://wookware.org/