Re: R 3.0.0 and required rebuilds of all reverse Depends: of R

On Tue, 2013-04-02 at 16:29 +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2013-04-01 02:34:41 +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Uoti Urpala, le Mon 01 Apr 2013 03:07:25 +0300, a écrit :
> > > Having latest upstream versions easily available to users is important
> > > for the development of many projects,
> >
> > That's what experimental is for.
>
> There are various problems with experimental, in particular
> dependencies are not necessarily listed, and upgrade from an
> experimental package is not supported (it generally works,
> but the maintainer doesn't have to take that into account).
> In short, experimental is not for the end user.

The best solution would be having unstable _never_ frozen, at the cost
of another repository during the freeze period. This was proposed some
time ago, see http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2013/01/msg00273.html
repeated here for convenience:

i) experimental being really for new stuff
ii) unstable unfrozen always:
- stable+1: if no freeze -> testing after xx days as before
- stable+1=unstable frozen at freeze time: if during freeze -> testing
-> stable
- stable+2: if in freeze -> unstable

And the frozen unstable/testing repository could cover a subset of the
packages in unstable: The "good ones". That would effectively reduce the
freeze period.

As proposed in the thread the idea should be written down at
http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseProposals
Since this idea is new as far as I could see it's time do do that.

The details can be discussed later on, when Wheezy is released.