Re: Splitting the devscripts package

On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 05:18:53PM +0200, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> This can/should preferably be configurable, defaulting to the Debian
> BTS. Derivatives should be encouraged to override the defaults
> accordingly.

In the case of "our" bts tool, I think it would be rather too much work
to re-architect it to support other BTS techs other than debbugs; very
few others deploy debbugs so it's not generally repurposeable. I think
Joey's point was rather, the 'bts' tool should not be installed into
filesystem for derivatives/others using the devscripts package, since a
binary with the name 'bts' lying about might imply it works with the
bug tracker for whatever distro we're talking about, and it doesn't,
and probably shouldn't.

(not speaking as a devscripts maintainer nor bts author)