Re: R 3.0.0 and required rebuilds of all reverse Depends: of R

On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 12:33:46PM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> On 31 March 2013 at 18:18, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> | Aside from the lack of pre-discussion, co-ordination etc., the last few
> | weeks of a freeze _really_ isn't the right time to be starting a large
> | (or indeed small) transition in unstable. We now have at least 87 (based
> | on this morning's britney run) packages which won't be able to receive
> | updates via unstable should they turn out to have lately discovered RC
> | bugs. If any of those packages are then involved in dependency chains,
> | the same could be true of packages outside of the R module packages.
> In the grand scheme of things, R is a rather peripheral package.

A peripheral package can still cause extra work for the release team.

> Please just put a "block" on r-base-core to prevent it from migrating to
> testing.  All these dependencies will be held too.

The freeze already guarantees the these new R packages won't be entering
wheezy. That is not the problem. The problem is that since you uploaded,
to unstable, packages that cannot enter wheezy, any bug fixes _in_wheezy_
now have to go via testing-proposed-uploads, which is more work for everyone,
including the release team. Because of the complicated dependencies between
packages in Debian, this then cause _other_ packages to suffer the same fate.

This is not a new thing, and it has been said repeatedly by the release
team on debian-devel-announce.

> I cannot influence the R release cycle which happens within our freeze. As
> have a few previous R releases, and none of those created any trouble.

You can, however, avoid uploading the new R packages to Debian unstable
during a Debian release freeze, and you should have done so. You could
have uploaded them to experimental instead. This would have avoided all
the potential problems for the Debian release process.

http://www.cafepress.com/trunktees -- geeky funny T-shirts
http://gtdfh.branchable.com/ -- GTD for hackers