Re: R 3.0.0 and required rebuilds of all reverse Depends: of R

On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 12:33:46PM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 31 March 2013 at 18:18, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> | Aside from the lack of pre-discussion, co-ordination etc., the last few
> | weeks of a freeze _really_ isn't the right time to be starting a large
> | (or indeed small) transition in unstable. We now have at least 87 (based
> | on this morning's britney run) packages which won't be able to receive
> | updates via unstable should they turn out to have lately discovered RC
> | bugs. If any of those packages are then involved in dependency chains,
> | the same could be true of packages outside of the R module packages.
>
> In the grand scheme of things, R is a rather peripheral package.

A peripheral package can still cause extra work for the release team.

> Please just put a "block" on r-base-core to prevent it from migrating to
> testing.  All these dependencies will be held too.

The freeze already guarantees the these new R packages won't be entering
wheezy. That is not the problem. The problem is that since you uploaded,
to unstable, packages that cannot enter wheezy, any bug fixes _in_wheezy_
now have to go via testing-proposed-uploads, which is more work for everyone,
including the release team. Because of the complicated dependencies between
packages in Debian, this then cause _other_ packages to suffer the same fate.

This is not a new thing, and it has been said repeatedly by the release
team on debian-devel-announce.

> I cannot influence the R release cycle which happens within our freeze. As
> have a few previous R releases, and none of those created any trouble.

You can, however, avoid uploading the new R packages to Debian unstable
during a Debian release freeze, and you should have done so. You could
have uploaded them to experimental instead. This would have avoided all
the potential problems for the Debian release process.

--
http://www.cafepress.com/trunktees -- geeky funny T-shirts
http://gtdfh.branchable.com/ -- GTD for hackers