Re: Bulding 3.0.1 Under Ubuntu 10.04 i386

Please keep me on the Cc: list, as I'm not subscribed.

Sorry :(  I have to pick this up again, as I screwed up last time and
not much happened since I started this thread.
Won't bother the subsurface mailing list with debian packaging details.

On Fri, 1 Mar 2013, Christian PERRIER wrote:

> > Old debian source packages (subsurface-1.2-1 and libdivecomputer-0.1.0),
> > could also be of some value.
> >
> > I'm really looking forward to see latest subsurface/libdivecomputer in
> > debian, as soon as it can be done.  It'll most probably be unstable, but
>
> This thread is interesting. I faced about the same challenges when
> working on packaging pYtrainer for Debian (Pytrainer is a Python
> application for sports tracking, mostly used by runners and bikers).

Thanks for the insight.  Yeah, it seems to be very difficult to find
someone interested of packaging this stuff and also _work_ it :(

Last offer came from Dmitrijs.  Are you still willing to do the packiging
work Dmitrijs?

> That was the point : doing the work in Debian guaranteed that our
> quality criteria did benefit to the quality of the resulting packages
> and this, up to derived distro users.
>
> There are certainly probably 10, or 20, or 30 more users of Pytrainer
> packages on Ubuntu systems than Debian systems. But, indeed, all those
> can use this nice software because we did prepare the packages with
> our Debian "culture" in mind (the original culprit for these packages
> is Noèl Köthe, not me, by the way).

Yes, those were my thoughts too when I brought subsurface up.

> So, yes, if people are interested in getting this diving software
> ported and well-supported in many deb-based distros as possible, I
> would highly recommend doing the work in Debian.

Please folks, pick this up.  Two easy packages to maintain, with active
upstreams and very interested to make the packaging work easier.

> That would even be a good way to discover that those Debian weirdos
> are not all pizza eaters and beer drinkers and that some might even
> dive very well, just like some Debian weirdos happen to run or bike
> not so badly...:-)

Yes, I'm still hoping to find an interested diver and debian
developer/maintainer too, willing to pick this up.

There's some interesting development here (thanks to Yannick):

On Fri, 1 Mar 2013, Yannick Brosseau wrote:

| Hi,
|
| I'm not sure if anybody was actually working on it, but I've built
| package for debian (sid) if it can be of any use for somebody.
|
| I only did a simple update of the packaging currently available in debian.
|
| The packaging git are here:
| http://git.dorsal.polymtl.ca/~ybrosseau?p=pkg-libdivecomputer
| http://git.dorsal.polymtl.ca/~ybrosseau?p=pkg-subsurface
|
| And the files:
| http://www.dorsal.polymtl.ca/~ybrosseau/debian/libdivecomputer-dev_0.3.0-1_amd64.deb
| http://www.dorsal.polymtl.ca/~ybrosseau/debian/libdivecomputer0_0.3.0-1_amd64.deb
| http://www.dorsal.polymtl.ca/~ybrosseau/debian/subsurface_3.0.1-1_amd64.deb
| The rest of the source are available:
| http://www.dorsal.polymtl.ca/~ybrosseau/debian/

AFAICT, those packages need some small polishing work.

> How about joining the pkg-running umbrella? It's quite some time that
> stuff we maintain in this team is more "sport stuff" than "running
> stuff" anyway.

Yes, I finally found that list (it's pkg-running-devel, isn't it?) and I
had a look.  Sadly, it looks more like a spam-box than a development
mailinglist.  Can anything be done about that?  I'd gladly join that list
if that would help to push the packaging work ahead.

Cheers,

--
Cristian