Re: Unable to find RC bug targets to squash

Op zaterdag 2 maart 2013 02:36:32 schreef Russ Allbery:
> While I certainly don't want to discourage people from working on
> security-related bugs, note that security-related bugs don't block the
> release (because they can be dealt with via an advisory after the
> release).  So if the goal is to get wheezy out faster, helping with
> security-related bugs doesn't really do much.

Strictly speaking yes, it doesn't have a direct impact on the timeframe.
However, it's still temendously useful to do. So if people are looking to
sqash a bug don't find any in the non-security section, by all means, help fix
a security bug.

Fixing them before release is very desirable for a few reasons. The DSA
process exists but is more heavyweight. Also, fixing the issues before release
allows for wider testing, and the fix is present right away, on the cd images.

Of special note in this regard are regressions from squeeze. We can fix
everything in a DSA, but if an issue doesn't affect squeeze and does affect
wheezy, it would be pity to release with it: it would make people upgrading
open up holes not previously there.

In fact, this goes for all RC bugs: the ones that are regressions from squeeze
are the really relevant ones. When an issue is also in squeeze, fixing it is
always nice but releasing wheezy with it will not make the situation worse
than it was. If you check the "affected releases" checkbox on udd you can see
this information for each bug.

Cheers,
Thijs