Re: Linux Future

Chow Loong Jin <hyperair@debian.org> writes:

>       * But if it ever fails due to a bug within it, $DEITY help you, because
>         you're going to have to go through everything mentioned in your first
>         point here (save the issues with getting patches accepted)

Sometimes, debugging can be easier in monolithic systems.  It depends on
how they're build.  One advantage of a monolithic system is that you can
design a tracing facility into it from the start and have all components
trace in the same way, which means that debugging is often just a matter
of enabling tracing and then seeing where things blew up.

It really depends.  I've occasionally tracked down obscure problems in
traditional UNIX environments to bugs in the shell, and problems like that
are quite difficult to find.

Sometimes, people use UNIX tools to build nice, elegant, comprehensible
systems with clear interfaces that are a pleasure to debug.  Sometimes you
get configure scripts.  :)  Nothing but bog-standard UNIX tools there!