Re: Linux Future

On 01/22/2013 09:05 AM, Josselin Mouette wrote:

Le mardi 22 janvier 2013 à 14:57 +0100, Svante Signell a écrit :

Worthwhile to read, definitely.

Yet full of misinformation, like the idea that using D-Bus makes a service
less scriptable (while the reality is a complete opposite), or that
configuration files are less human-readable than shell scripts.

They may not be less readable, but I'm not sure they convey all of the same
information.

In a shell script, you see the logic which will be carried out - or at least the
topmost layer of it. (And in many cases, the underlying layers will be programs
you're already familiar with, do-one-thing-well tools such as e.g. grep.)

In a config file, you see the configuration settings, but the logic is present
only in the program which parses the configuration file. (Unless the config file
syntax is essentially an entire fully-functional scripting language of its own,
in which case why not call what you've got "an interpreter and a script" rather
than "a program and its config file"?)

That may not always be important in practice, but I think it's a significant
difference in theory - and probably in many practical cases as well.

--
   The Wanderer

side of it.

Every time you let somebody set a limit they start moving it.
  - LiveJournal user antonia_tiger