Re: Bootstrappable Debian - proposal of needed changes

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 10:35:03AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 05:26:52PM +0100, Johannes Schauer a écrit :

> > Whether or not "nocheck" and "nodocs" can/should become build profiles
> > is of course still to be debated.

> for the packages I maintain, I am now replacing the regression tests that
> were ran during the build process by autopkgtest test suites.

So now packages that fail their build-time test suites will be accepted into
the archive, exposing users to these bugs.

>     http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep8/

>     (see http://developer.ubuntu.com/packaging/html/auto-pkg-test.html
>      while Alioth-hosted sites seem to be in trouble)

> If this eventually becomes the norm, then we will not need "nocheck" build
> option or profile anymore.

This should never become the norm.  The purpose of DEP-8 is to provide a
framework for running *additional* tests that *can't* be run at package
build time.