Re: Bootstrappable Debian - proposal of needed changes

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 06:47:01PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> A different - similarly strict - criterion would catch out glib2, gtk
> and others- introspection / marshalling code. This can cause a build
> failure but can also cause more difficult bugs which only show at
> runtime. Skipping the execution causes missing functionality, copying
> data from the build architecture is likely to cause other kinds of
> misbehaviour or crashes.

Yeah, that and gtk-doc.  I do have some ideas on how to deal with
gobject-introspection; but I think it's going to require a
gobject-introspection-TRIPLET for each host architecture, which is one
reason I want to have a reasonably generalisable solution to the
build-dep substitution problem.

There's probably no general magic bullet to the problem where
cross-built packages build successfully but turn out to be inadequate in
some way, although I guess that file list comparison against
natively-built packages would catch a majority of the problems.