Re: Packages with incomplete .md5sum files

* Andreas Beckmann <debian@abeckmann.de> [130115 11:20]:
> On 2013-01-15 10:29, Julien Cristau wrote:
> > There's no requirement for md5sums files in the first place AFAIK.  How
> > are incomplete md5sums worse than no md5sums?  If anything this stuff
> > should be minor IMO.
>
> If a package is shipping no .md5sum at all, it will be created by dpkg
> at installation time.
>
> A partial .md5sum however will not be "completed". This hides some
> shipped files from debsums, defeating its purpose.

That depends what the purpose is supposed to be. Having debsums by
default create fake .md5sum files for packages not shipping them
defeats the purpose md5sums is most useful for: to check that the
files in your filesystem are correct and where not corrupted by
faulty hardware. (As in my experience almost all of those problems
happen when writing to the disk (by faulty memory, faulty busses,
overheated mainboards or CPUs) and not to content on the disc itself).
So while incomplete .md5sums are definitely not nice and worse then
complete files, I do not see how that could be worse than not having
any .md5sum files.

        Bernhard R. Link