Re: debian/* license of non-free packages

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 05:36:35PM +0000, Bart Martens wrote:
> > From my perspective according to DEP5 it can only mean one thing: The
> > license is the same as specified in "Files: *" and you blame the
> > copyright holder mentioned in this stanca as copyright holder also for
> > debian/*.
>
> That would be a fair assumption, but as long as the author of the debian/*
> files hasn't stated this, it's an assumption.

I would not suggest anybody to do it this way and I explicitely enforce
sponsees to add the "Files: debian/*" section even if they are upstream
just to make things very explicite and clear.  But if I have nothing
explicite I need to assume something and finally a definition

   Files: *

does also match

   Files: debian/*

so what else should it mean if somebody leaves out the latter?  Perhaps
we should state this explicitely at

   http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/

to give people a warning about this?

Kind regards