Re: debian/* license of non-free packages

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 05:54:28PM +0000, Bart Martens wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 09:29:07AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > Actually, all of those cases are equivalent, and in all of those cases the
> > patch author has the option of what license they want to use.

> > It's conventional (although not entirely legally sound) in the free
> > software community to just assume that any patch submitted without any
> > explicit license statement is licensed under the same terms as the
> > upstream source.

> I guess you meant : It's conventional (although not entirely legally
> sound) in the free software community to just assume that the copyright of
> any patch submitted without any explicit copyright and license statement
> is transferred (given) to the copyright holders of the upstream software.

This is a far less common convention... precisely because it's far less
legally sound.  You can make a good faith assumption that someone who's
sending you a patch for inclusion means for it to be under the same license;
but copyright assignments need to be documented.