Re: [RFC] Go (golang) packaging

Michael Stapelberg <stapelberg@debian.org> wrote:

>Hi Shawn,
>
>shawnlandden@gmail.com writes:
>> I am not sure how or if lld works on .a files, but I am pretty sure
>> that this binary is linked against libc6 and libgo1. If I invoke
>gccgo
>> directly that is the result.
>If by “this binary” you mean godebiancontrol.a, then no:
>
>ldd /tmp/golang/pkg/linux_amd64/github.com/mstap/godebiancontrol.a
>	not a dynamic executable
.a files are just archives ( ar(1) i believe) of a bunch of .o files. They are not linked at all, either dynamically or statically. As gccgo uses libc6 and libgo1 and does not compile those every time you use it, you need libc6-dev and go Dev files to make any use of these .a files. You have to look at the resulting binaries.