Re: Change default PATH for Jessie / wheezy+1

Alberto Fuentes <alberto.fuentes@qindel.com> writes:

> I think the topic in here is good defaults for debian/"more common case"
> no if debian/users are able to handle such changes. :)

> I also add sbin to path as one the first steps after installation and i
> think is a good thing.

Yes, likewise here.  I've had sbin in my path for 15 years.  Every UNIX
I've used had similar problems where binaries were in sbin for no
particularly good reason.

Yes, we could file bugs and go to the work of moving things and leaving
symlinks behind to not break other things, but that's a lot of work.  And
it's ongoing work to keep things sorted into the right place.  Whereas if
we moved everything and left a symlink behind, that's way more work in the
short run but then we would be done and no one would have to think about
the distinction again.

I've never seen a system that really gets this right, where I didn't
occasionally want to run stuff in sbin as a regular user, so I'm skeptical
that it's possible to do a good job at this.