Re: Change default PATH for Jessie / wheezy+1

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 09:28:03AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Yes, we could file bugs and go to the work of moving things and leaving
> symlinks behind to not break other things, but that's a lot of work.  And
> it's ongoing work to keep things sorted into the right place.  Whereas if
> we moved everything and left a symlink behind, that's way more work in the
> short run but then we would be done and no one would have to think about
> the distinction again.

If we did want to do a blanket move of everything in /sbin to /bin
(and for /usr/sbin to /usr/bin), we could do this in a single operation
in e.g. base-files.  It wouldn't require any path changes in individual
packages, but we would need to fix any name clashes first, and also to
bail out if any were found during the upgrade.  It should be possible to
do entirely atomically as well if we hardlink the binaries, and then
replace the dir with a symlink.

Regards,
Roger

--