Re: Idea: mount /tmp to tmpfs depending on free space and RAM

[Bjørn Mork]
> I'd like to add another one:
>
> - a tmpfs is always easy to grow without requiring any special
>   preparations.  Just add more swap.  The swap could be on different
>   disks, and could even be files hosted on other file systems.

This sound very similar to what I am doing already with LVM and online
file system growing.  A simple 'lvresize' and 'ext2resize' (or just
debian-edu-fsautoresize for those of us with that tool available)
later the full file systems have more free space again. :)

Did I misunderstand you?

> Any file system will run out of space given the broken applications
> mentioned in this thread.  tmpfs is the only one which will allow
> all systems to dynamically add more space, only limited by the
> available disks. That's why tmpfs should be the default for both new
> and old systems, unless the administrator has explicitly made a more
> limited choice.

While I agree that tmpfs should be the default, I suspect this
argument isn't solid enough to make it worth it.  There are luckily
other arguments too. :)
--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen